Monday, March 5, 2012

My review on the Fantasy on the Bayou Writer's Conference

I recently attended the Fantasy, Futuristic and Paranormal (Chapter of RWA) writer's conference that took place in New Orleans, LA, March 2-4. I must say I was quite excited to attend this event for several reasons. It was my first writer's conference and I had never been to New Orleans.


The ladies that coordinated the event, did a fantastic job. The event ran smoothly, there were great panels of agents, editors and publishers, along with excellent workshops that concentrated on improving your craft, no matter what level of writer you were.


Another thing that enticed me about this conference was that the keynote speaker was scheduled to be Karen Marie Moning. She is one of my favorite authors. Due to unforeseen events that pushed back her deadlines, she was unable to attend. However, Maggie Shayne went beyond all expectations of being a fantastic keynote speaker at the conference. She had the audience, laughing, crying and believing that they can do anything. I was touched by her speech and cannot wait to read her work.


Not only did this conference have workshops, but you got your money's worth by including a pitch session option. I chose to do the pitch session option and was very pleased how it was done. I was scheduled to pitch with four very credible agents (three of which their agency was on my wishlist). All of them were kind and very professional. I was also able to pitch two more times to two publishers. Out of the six, one asked for a rewrite and submission, three asked for partial submissions and two asked for my entire manuscript. I am thrilled with the outcome of this conference.


Not only was this the first time I attended a writer's conference, it was the first time that this chapter of the RWA has thrown a conference. By all means, they have raised the bar to a extraordinary high standard to base that would knock all future conferences out of the ball park. They did a beautiful job and I am very pleased that I made the decision to go.


I would give it 4.5 stars out of 5.  Thank-you to everyone who made the event and the experience an unforgettable one.




http://fantasyonthebayou.blogspot.com/
http://www.romance-ffp.com/





3 comments:

  1. It was great meeting you, Rebekah! I'm so glad you enjoyed the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to have you at the conference. So glad you enjoyed yourself! It was so nice to chat with you, I hope (if there is another ff&p conference) you'll come again.
    Qwillia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much enjoyed myself! I will definitely come if there is another conference. I would even love to volunteer! Thanks so much ladies.

    ReplyDelete